As icy conditions make roads hazardous, drivers are asked to avoid non-essential travel if possible. But if you must drive, it’s important to be aware of road conditions and closures.
Texas residents can find information on road conditions throughout the state at DriveTexas.org, or by phone at 800-452-9292.
To check on closed low-water crossings, visit ATXFloods.com.
An interactive map can also be found at kvue.com/traffic.
Officials are urging motorists to use extreme caution on the roads. Travel planning and other tips are available at the TxDOT Safety Guide for Winter Travel.
If you are on the roads during inclement winter weather, consider the following tips:
- Slow down. Speed limits are based on normal road and weather conditions, not winter road conditions.
- Maintain at least three times the normal following distance on snow or ice.
- Watch carefully for snow removal equipment and stay at least 200 feet behind snow plows.
- Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses and shaded areas as they tend to freeze first.
- If your vehicle starts to slide, ease off the gas pedal or brakes. Steer into the direction of the skid until you have regained traction. Then straighten your vehicle.
PEOPLE ARE ALSO READING: