AUSTIN, Texas — Hurricane season is here, and the KVUE Storm Team wants to make sure you are fully prepared with everything you need in your emergency kit in the event a hurricane hits in your area.
Here's a checklist of what you should have on-hand:
- A first aid kit in case anyone gets hurt
- A whistle in case you need to call for help
- A flashlight and extra batteries for if you lose power
- Cash in case you lose power and ATMs no longer work. You'll also want to know where your credit cards are
- A battery-powered radio and weather radio to get the latest updates
- A solar or battery-powered cellphone charger. If possible, make sure your phone is fully charged before the weather system arrives in your area
- A 3-day supply of water and non-perishable food items for each member of your family, including your pets
- A change of clothes and shoes for each family member
- Prescription medicine, special needs items and important documents. It's recommended that you keep those documents in a plastic bag to keep them safe and dry
As always, the KVUE Storm Team will continue to keep a close eye on any developments in the Gulf of Mexico. Find the forecast on kvue.com and download the KVUE News app to get updates and check on radar. Also be sure to follow KVUE on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.