NEW ORLEANS — Something we don't see every day? A quarterback in tears.
An emotional moment captured by ESPN shows Texas Longhorns Quarterback Sam Ehlinger crying with his family and childhood friends while holding the Sugar Bowl championship trophy.
Ehlinger reaches into the stands, shares a hug with his mom, wipes away a tear and then heads back to the madness on the field.
The people in the video are all close friends of Ehlinger's from Westlake, many of whom have known him since he was just a kid.
Here's a who's who from left to right:
- On the left in white is Kristin Ernst of Westlake. She grew up with Ehlinger's dad, Ross Ehlinger, in San Antonio. Her son, Wilson Ernst, played football with Sam at Westlake.
- In long sleeves in burnt orange is Amy Porter of Westlake, whose daughter is current UT cheerleader Morgan Baker.
- The middle blonde teen in a burnt orange tank is Ehlinger’s sister, Morgen Ehligner, a sophomore at Westlake High School and the baby of the family.
- Sam’s mom is the one hugging him. Her name is Jena Ehlinger. She is also a UT graduate who lives in Westlake.
- Next to her is Sam’s girlfriend, Molly Parken, who went to Westlake High School with him and now attends UT also.
- Behind Jena in black is Jena’s boyfriend, Currin Van Eman, of Austin.
- And next to Currin in black long sleeves is Kristyn Chambers of Westlake. Her son is former Westlake teammate to Sam and former UT walk-on Barrett Chambers, who was born the same week as Sam.