AUSTIN, Texas — The National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) announced Monday it was canceling upcoming basketball championships as well as spring competition, effective immediately.
"In light of the progressive evolvement of the COVID-19 situation, the NJCAA has decided to end all competition for the remainder of the academic year," stated Dr. Christopher Parker, NJCAA President & CEO. "As an association, the NJCAA exhausted all possible avenues to potentially postpone competition for both upcoming basketball championships and spring sport competition. We believe following the recommendations of the CDC is in the best interest of our member colleges and our student-athletes."
The NJCAA cancellation includes all practices, regular season, postseason, and national championship play.
Additionally, no spring sport student-athlete who was enrolled at a member college in 2020 will be charged a year of participation, according to the NJCAA.
On and off-campus recruiting for all sports were suspended until April 15, NJCAA said. Any further recruiting suspension possibility would be determined at that time, the organization said.
"The NJCAA will explore the opportunity to expand allowable Letters of Intent for spring sports for both the 2020-21 and 2021-22 academic years under the recommendation of the NJCAA Eligibility Committee,"
WATCH: What keeps you calm? | KVUE
PEOPLE ARE ALSO READING:
- Coronavirus live updates: White House wants people to stay home, avoid groups larger than 10
- VERIFY: Is there a drive-thru coronavirus testing clinic in Austin?
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott waives STAAR testing requirements
- UIL extends suspension to all contests, rehearsals, practices due to coronavirus concerns
- Coronavirus updates in Central Texas: Williamson County bans gatherings of 50+, Hays County reports second case
- Reports: Texans trade star receiver DeAndre Hopkins to Cardinals
- COTA confirms layoffs after canceling events over coronavirus
- Dallas Cowboys put a tag on it: QB Dak Prescott locked in for 2020 season