AUSTIN, Texas — After being closed amid the pandemic, guided tours of the Texas Governor's Mansion are set to resume on Wednesday, March 10.
Once dates and times are determined, instructions will be posted on the State Preservation Board website.
Guided tours at the Governor’s Mansion had been temporarily suspended due to COVID-19 safety precautions. A statement on its website read, "In addition to being a historical site, the Governor’s Mansion is also the residence of the First Family of Texas and it is not possible to safely provide tours while also adhering the CDC’s health standards."
This comes after Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday announced that effective March 10, a new executive order will be enacted to lift coronavirus safety mandates, such as requiring Texans to wear face masks in public places and business capacity restrictions.
"Make no mistake, COVID-19 has not disappeared, but it is clear from the recoveries, vaccinations, reduced hospitalizations and safe practices that Texans are using that state mandates are no longer needed," Abbott said Tuesday.
The governor said businesses are still allowed to implement their own capacity limits or safety protocols as they see fit.
"However, under no circumstance can a county judge put anybody in jail for not following COVID orders and no penalties can be imposed for failing to wear a face mask," the governor added. "Also, if restrictions are imposed at the county level, all entities must be allowed to operate at least a 50% capacity."
- List: Businesses in Austin that are still requiring masks
- Travis County, Austin leaders warn of possible COVID-19 surge after governor lifts mask mandate
- Austin will consider bar, restaurant regulations if it sees 'unsafe practices'
- Business owners, local leaders react to Gov. Abbott rescinding the statewide mask order, business restrictions
- When the Texas mask mandate is lifted, where will masks still be required by federal order?
- 'Opening Texas 100%': Gov. Abbott rescinds statewide face mask order, business restrictions
- VERIFY: Fact-checking Gov. Greg Abbott's claims for opening Texas, rescinding mask mandate
- Texas to join 15 US states without statewide mask mandates