KYLE, Texas — The parents of a 21-month-old who died on July 4, 2018, in Kyle have been arrested after police say they may have caused the child's death and blamed it on "demons."

Kyle residents Stevie Dwayne Williams, 24, and Dazrine Ruth Chagoya-Williams, 20, were charged with capital murder of a person under 10 years old and injury to a child with serious bodily injury.

The injury charges, police said, are for injuries to the couple's youngest child, an 8-month-old who was removed from the home by CPS. Reports state the infant girl was also found to have bodily injures, including multiple rib fractures, a skull fracture and a lacerated kidney.

Officials responded to their home on Marquitos Drive on July 4 regarding reports of a child who was not conscious or breathing. Fire and EMS officials attempted to revive the male child when police arrived.

“Officers observed visible injuries on the victim's body, including bruising on his left and right rib area, bruising on his back and bruising on his forehead,” Kyle Police Chief Jeff Barnett said.

Barnett said the male child passed away in the home.

Police said that when speaking with the suspects in their home on July 4, Dazrine stated that when Stevie went into the victim's room, the child wasn't alive anymore. She stated that the child did not have any bruises on him when he went to sleep but was unable to provide a valid explanation for the injuries other that that "something attacked him or something."

When speaking with Stevie, police said he reported that he and Dazrine knew "for certain" what happened to their kids. He reportedly stated it was something "not wordly," as in "demons, evil." Police said he was unable to provide a valid explanation for the injuries.

Police said that based on prior CPS reports, the victim had sustained multiple rib fractures, a wrist/forearm fracture, and burns to his foot, leg and genitals from hot water. The affidavit states that the child was removed from the suspects' home for 11 months, but placed back into their care after they completed parenting classes. The victim was monitored by CPS for three months, at which point monitoring was stopped. The child was found dead three months later.

The couple was arrested on July 23 without incident and taken to the Hays County Jail.