AUSTIN -- To get in the game day spirit, KVUE wants to highlight five facts about the University of Texas at Austin.
1. Bevo's name is a play on the word 'beeves,' which is the plural word for 'beef.'
2. UT's mascot used to be a pit bulldog named Pig.
3. The Tower was first lit during the 1937 football season.
4. Orange and white ribbon was the most in stock at a general store when two UT fans stopped in on their way to an 1885 baseball game to get ribbons for the crowd. UT adopted them as school colors in 1900.
5. A UT head cheerleader was the first to throw the Hook 'em Horns hand signal at 1955 pep rally at Gregory Gym.
UT faces off against the University of North Texas Saturday, Aug. 30 at the Darrell K Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium. The game starts at 7 p.m. It is Charlie Strong's first game as head coach.
Click the player below to watch the class of 2018 pose for a photo on the 50-yard line of DKR.
All facts were pulled from the University of Texas at Austin's website.