BEREA, Ohio — The Berea Police Department is investigating today after an 11-year-old boy was accidentally stabbed by a worker at the 7 Floors of Hell haunted house, currently at the Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds.
According to a police report, the incident happened on Saturday, Sept. 17, around 8:15 p.m. when officials received calls of a man stabbed in the foot.
The responding officer writes in his statement that he arrived and spoke with several staff members from the haunted house, who all confirmed that the victim was an 11-year-old boy, rather than a man.
A family member with the boy told police that they had arrived at the haunted house and were approached by one of the actors outside, wielding a bowie knife as a prop. The actor apparently attempted to stab at the ground in front of the boy and his family member, when he accidentally stabbed into the boy's red croc and cut his toe.
The boy's mother was called to the scene and staff at 7 Floors of Hell applied first aid. The family declined further medical treatment and continued with the haunted houses after the incident.
The staff member who stabbed the boy later confirmed to police that he had brought the bowie knife from home and told police "it was not a good idea," and said that the incident was an accident.
The knife was taken into police custody.
On Saturday, a representative with 7 Floors of Hell confirmed that the worker involved was let go.
No criminal charges have been filed.
MORE HEADLINES FROM AROUND NORTHEAST OHIO:
- RELATED: Cleveland Browns wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. will make 2021 debut Sunday vs. Chicago Bears
- RELATED: Toast in Cleveland's Detroit-Shoreway neighborhood to require proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test
- RELATED: 27 haunted houses you can visit in Ohio this Halloween
- RELATED: Home that inspired 'The Conjuring' movie for sale for $1.2M
- RELATED: Akron trick-or-treat set for October 30, city officials urge COVID precautions and vaccinations
Editor's note: The video in the player above is from a previously published story.