AUSTIN — Virginia Rose said birding is in her blood.
“Very fondly remember her wearing the binoculars around her neck,” Rose said of her grandmother.
Rose wants to encourage others to take up the hobby.
“I think that being out in nature has been such a help for me, and others I know, to find themselves and to realize what they really need,” Rose said. “It's been just a joy.”
She hopes people who are in wheelchairs hear her message.
“These people just don't know that they can do it,” Rose said. “They don’t know yet. Once I show them that they can do it, then I’ve sprung them.”
Rose knows their fears firsthand. She was thrown from her horse when she was 14-years-old and ended up in a wheelchair.
“I've been in a chair 45 years,” she said. “45 years today.”
But for more than four decades, she’s remained positive.
“There's no time not to keep going,” Rose said.
Rose explained being outside on your own can be “kind of daunting” if you’re in a wheelchair.
“You don't know if you don't go,” she said with a smile. “That's my motto, you don't know, if you don’t go.”
She hopes her “birdability” idea will catch on in other cities and states.
“I decided to do a “birdathon” with Travis Audubon society here in town,” Rose said.
Rose told KVUE she’s been in the group for more than 12 years. Along with participating in the birdathon on Sunday, she compiled a list of accessible birding sites:
1. Barkley Meadows
2. Berry Springs
3. Big Webberville (portions)
4. Blanco State Park
5. Botanical Gardens
6. Brushy Creek/Champions Park
7. Commons Ford/Platt Ln. (portions)
8. Doeskin Ranch (portions)
9. Harris (Eastwoods )Park
10. Hornsby (portions)
11. Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center (portions)
12. Lake Creek (Braes Valley/ Broadmede)
13. Lake Creek (Parmer Rd.)
14. McKinney Falls Park
15. Mayfield Park
16. Mary Moore Seawright (portions)
18. Mills Pond
19. Nick Dawson Park (off S. Mopac on the way to LBJ Wildflower)
20. Northeast Metro Park
21. Northern Walnut Creek Trail (at Walnut Creek Park on Palmer)
22. Northwest Park (Beverly Sheffield) (portions)
23. Palmetto State Park
24. Pedernales State Park (portions)
25. Riata (portions)
26. Richard Moya
27. Roy Guerrero (portions)
28. San Gabriel Riverwalk
29. Shin Oak Observation Deck
30.Southern Walnut Creek Trail (entrances at YMCA, Loyola lane, Jain Lane, Govalle park)
31. Sunset Deck at Balcones Canyonlands Wildlife Refuge
32.Townlake Trail at 2200 Lakeshore Blvd.
33. Warbler Woods (portions)