LIBERTY HILL, Texas — An Austin Police Department officer was killed while driving home from his night shift early in the morning on Sept. 23.
The crash occurred at the intersection of State Highway 29 and RM 1869 just after 6 a.m. on Sept. 23.
The APD identified the officer as Anthony "Tony" Martin. He had been with the department for more than 16 years.
"My dad was always my hero, my protector and my inspiration. I called him Pop because it rhymes with cop and he was my cop pop. He raised me to be a strong and independent woman," said daughter Ashley Martin.
"My dad was a lot of things to me. He was my biggest fan on the soccer field, my history tutor and my rock," said daughter MaryJo Martin.
"He lived a life of service literally the time he was 18 and joined the military until he tragically died. He put everything he had into the military first with an Air Force career, then 16 years with APD," said APD chief Joseph Chacon.
Chacon added, “Just an amazing officer and amazing human being and the loss with be felt in this community. He gave the ultimate last full measure of service and he died a hero, for which this community will be forever grateful and we never, ever forget. Tony, please rest easy, brother. We will take it from here."
Austin Cops for Charities is now accepting donations on Venmo to go toward Martin's family. Donations can be made with "Officer Martin" in the memo line.
The following funeral services were set for Oct. 3 at Hill Country Bible Church and were open to the public:
- Visitation: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Funeral service: 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Police honors: 12:15 p.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- Reception: 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
The public was encouraged to safely line the route of the funeral procession to show their support.
The funeral procession's route was as follows:
- Left out of the driveway of Cook Walkden Funeral Home, going north on Lamar
- Exit off N. Lamar to 183, going north
- Go under 183 and take a left on northbound service road
- Take the entrance onto 183 northbound
- Take FM 620/Lake Creek Parkway/Pecan Park Blvd. exit
- Continue onto the frontage road through Lake Creek Pkwy
- Turn left onto Pecan Park Blvd.
- Turn left onto Ranch Road 620
- Turn right on Little Elm
- Enter Hill Country Bible Church at the fourth entrance (will have a "Family Entrance" sign)
- Continue past the fourth parking space islands and turn left toward the overhand titled "Family Entrance"
- Advance motors pull all the way through and lineup a column of twos
- The hearse will stop at the entrance
Martin's crash has been ruled a "line of duty" death.
A second crash involving an Austin police officer also occurred Friday evening at Burnet Road and US 183. Police said only minor injuries were involved in that crash with zero hospital transports.
PEOPLE ARE ALSO READING: