AUSTIN, Texas — Following the departure of former Assistant Chief Justin Newsom, the Austin Police Department has named a new leader – Assistant Chief Robin Henderson.
"I am pleased to officially promote Robin Henderson to the rank of Assistant Chief," Chief Brian Manley tweeted on Monday. "It was great to pin on her stars and badge this morning. Over the years, AC Henderson has exhibited exceptional leadership skills & we are so excited to have her as a part of the Executive Team."
Henderson joins an APD Executive team consisting of Chief Manley, Chief of Staff Troy Gay, Assistant Chief Todd Smith, Assistant Chief Joe Chacon, Assistant Chief Richard Guajardo, Assistant Chief Jennifer Stephenson and Assistant Director Alice Thomas.
Her promotion comes after Newsom abruptly retired in October 2019 following complaints filed against him for allegations of racism. These allegations paved the way for a number of others to come forward, including similar reports against AC Stephenson and Chief of Staff Gay.
In the weeks that followed, the City of Austin hired an investigator to look into how these allegations were handled.
For more on this ongoing story, see below.
- Several Austin police officers of color claim retaliation by peers for speaking up against racism, Austin Justice Coalition says
- Complaint filed against another assistant police chief as APD faces allegations of racism
- 'Multi-pronged' investigation into bigotry, discrimination within Austin police approved by city council
- Commission recommends Austin City Council delay APD cadet classes until after February's course
- 'What you permit, you promote' | Austin police groups criticize Chief Manley's handling of racism allegations against Newsom
- APD detective, target of alleged racist language, sues former assistant chief
- APD chief says he 'lost sight' in handling racism allegations against assistant
- As City hires investigator, APD chief's response to racism allegations in focus
- Austin city manager announces details of investigation into former APD assistant chief
- Austin police chief provides timeline in handling of Assistant Chief Newsom allegations
- APD Assistant Chief Justin Newsom abruptly retires
PEOPLE ARE ALSO READING: