AUSTIN, Texas — Paredes Middle School in South Austin is back to normal after there were reports of a gas odor Tuesday afternoon.
According to Austin-Travis County EMS, medics headed to the school when three students went to the nurse's office to complain about the reported odor. Another 12 students ended up at the nurse's office.
ATCEMS said one of the students' parents allowed medics to treat the child. That child was taken to Dell Seton Medical Center, medics said.
The campus was evacuated, but classes and activities have resumed since then. Austin Independent School District said the school is safe.
Principal Valerie Torres-Solis sent the following letter to parents Tuesday:
We care about all of our students very much and want to be sure that our campus is safe. I’m writing to let you know about two incidents that affected our campus today.
At approximately 9:45 a.m., the fine arts building was evacuated for about an hour and a half after students reported a smell of gas. Out of an abundance of caution, school officials contacted the Austin Fire Department and Austin ISD police.
Fire department officials investigated and found no evidence of a gas leak. Students and staff returned to their classes after officials cleared the building. Eleven students were evaluated by our nurse, and four chose to go home for the day.
This afternoon, at about 1:15 p.m., our entire campus was evacuated after another report of a smell of gas. Fire department officials investigated again and found no evidence of a gas leak.
AISD air quality staff also came to campus and cleared both the cafeteria and gym. Students and staff returned to those areas for the remainder of the day. Air quality staff then checked the rest of the school and found nothing.
At no time were our students or staff in any danger today. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at 512-841-6800. As always, we thank you for your support of Paredes Middle School.
A total of three ambulances and numerous officials responded.