AUSTIN, Texas — Many West Campus leases end in July, meaning the next couple of weekends could see a lot of stressed-out young people lugging their belongings around – and leaving unwanted things abandoned on curbs or near dumpsters.
But for the second year in a row, the City of Austin is offering a solution.
"Move Out ATX," previously known as the "Remove and Reuse" program, will have 10 donation stations set up over the next three weekends to help people moving out of West Campus give their unwanted, reusable belongings to local nonprofits.
“MoveOutATX connects university students with reuse organizations to keep gently used, much-needed items out of landfills during move-out season. Last year, the program had three drop-off locations and kept about 62 tons of materials out of local landfills. That’s almost 23 school bus' filled floor to ceiling. It’s also more than $150,000 in economic value to our local economy,” said Austin Resource Recovery Interim Director, Richard McHale. “We’re hoping to top that in 2019 by transforming even more would-be ‘trash’ into opportunities to help others.”
Participating reuse organizations include Austin Creative Reuse, Central Texas Food Bank, Goodwill Central Texas, Salvation Army Family Stores, Street Youth Ministry, Arms of Hope, JOSCO Products and JunkLuggers.
Stations can be found at the following locations:
- Spider House (2908 Fruth St.)
- Casa de Salado (across from 2615 Salado St.)
- Escala Condos (near the intersection of Poplar and San Gabriel streets)
- 26 West (across from GrandMerc, on Nueces Street)
- Texan Tower (2505 San Gabriel St.)
- Croix Condos (across from The Block on 25th Street, 706 W. 25th St.)
- Cain & Abel's (near alley, 2313 Rio Grande St.)
- Lenox Condos (across from 2216 San Gabriel St.)
- Pearl St. Co-Op (courtyard at 2101 Pearl St.)
- Former University Co-Op East parking lot (2902 Medical Arts Street)
You can also check out an interactive map of the donation stations.
The stations will be open July 20 and 21 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., July 26 through 28 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and July 31 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Wondering what you can and can't donate? The stations will accept:
- Electronics or small appliances
- Gently used furniture and home goods
- Bedding, linens and towels
- Cleaning supplies
- Bikes and accessories
- Clothing, shoes and accessories
- Pantry items like aluminum foil, coffee filters and paper products
- Unopened food items
Here's a more extensive list of things you can donate. As for what won't be accepted, you can't donate:
- Bags of trash
- Heavily soiled or wet textiles
- Broken or damaged furniture
- Large appliances
The City of Austin launched the "Remove and Reuse" pilot program last year. Learn more about the program's history.
Did we mention there are also perks for participating in Move Out ATX? Participants and volunteers will receive a "Perk" sticker, which you can show off to get special deals at these local businesses.
PEOPLE ARE ALSO READING: