AUSTIN, Texas — Editor's note: This blog is no longer active. For the latest updates, check out our new blog here.
KVUE is keeping you updated with the latest coronavirus and COVID-19 news in the Austin area.
Scroll down for the top headlines and latest updates in KVUE's Dec. 1 live blog.
- Texas: More than 1.1 million cases have been reported in the state, and more than 21,300 people in Texas have died, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services.
- Central Texas counties:
- Travis County: At least 38,757 cases have been reported and at least 484 people have died. At least 35,607 people have recovered from the virus.
- Hays County: At least 7,429 confirmed cases have been reported and at least 104 people have died. At least 6,606 people have recovered from the virus.
- Williamson County: At least 13,515 cases have been reported in the county and at least 164 people have died. At least 12,575 people have recovered from the virus.
GRAPHS: Coronavirus data Dec. 1
6 p.m. – Austin-Travis County health officials add 380 new cases and one more death. There has now been a total of 38,757 cases, 35,607 recoveries and 484 deaths.
5:20 p.m. – Hays County adds two more COVID-19 deaths. A total of 7,429 cases, 6,606 recoveries and 104 deaths have now been reported.
Williamson County adds one more death. A total of 13,515 cases, 12,575 recoveries and 164 deaths have now been reported.
5:15 p.m. – Here's a look at Texas COVID-19 data for Dec. 1:
- 15,182 cases reported today
- 9,047 COVID-19 patients in hospitals, the most since July 31. This is up 6.5% from a week ago and 59% from a month ago.
- 170 new deaths, bringing the total to 21,548
5:10 p.m. – The District 11-5A Division I District Executive Committee today decided to reschedule the Hendrickson-Leander High School football game to Thursday at 7 p.m. at Bible Stadium in Leander.
The Hawks were set to play against Leander Monday evening, and previously on Nov. 19. Both were postponed due to a COVID-19 case.
Hendrickson (5-2 overall and 3-2 in district) had a Saturday, Dec. 5, game against crosstown rival Pflugerville on its schedule. That game, however, will be canceled due to the rescheduling of the Hendrickson-Leander game. eTix will be issuing refunds via email to those who purchased tickets.
With the cancellation, the Panthers (5-3 overall and 3-3 in district) finish out their regular season and await the outcome of the Hendrickson-Leander game to determine postseason possibilities.
4:30 p.m. – According to a joint statement from Ascension Seton, Baylor Scott & White Health and St. David’s HealthCare, currently, the 2,473 staffed beds within all three healthcare systems are 78% occupied, and the 483 ICU beds are 85% occupied.
2:15 p.m. – Business leaders in the Red River Cultural District have banded together to create an emergency relief fund for workers, according to KVUE's media partners at the Austin American-Statesman. The fund – currently at about $40,000 – will be distributed to employees via H-E-B gift cards.
1:45 p.m. – The Austin Police Department said that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Austin Police Operation Blue Santa would not be delivering toys and meals to families this holiday season. Instead, the department said it would be giving $25 H-E-B gift cards to help families during the holiday season. Learn more about how you can show your support by visiting Austin Police Operation Blue Santa’s website, https://www.bluesanta.org/.
9:40 a.m. – According to Austin Public Health, 332 new cases were reported on Nov. 30. Austin Mayor Steve Adler joined KVUE Daybreak on Dec. 1 to talk about the impact this could have locally. Here's what he told KVUE's Mike Rush in a Q&A.
PEOPLE ARE ALSO READING: