AUSTIN, Texas — Construction started Wednesday on new affordable housing in North Austin.
The "A at Lamppost" development at 12500 Lamppost Lane, just north of Parmer Lane and east of the MoPac Expressway, will contain 17 multi-bedroom, family-friendly, townhouse-style homes for families making 80% or less of Austin's median family income per year, which is about $78,000 for a family of four.
The average value of existing homes in the neighborhood is over $360,000, but these new homes will be available for around $200,000.
The A at Lamppost is the first development to be built under Austin's "Affordability Unlocked" ordinance, which encourages developers to build affordable housing.
You can learn more about the A at Lamppost by watching the "virtual groundbreaking" video below:
PEOPLE ARE ALSO READING:
- Mike Ramos, Javier Ambler cases won't go before a grand jury this year
- Project Connect transit plan could cost taxpayers hundreds of dollars a year
- Tesla picks Austin for $1 billion 'Gigafactory'
- Texas attorney general says State must identify nursing homes with COVID-19
- Many parents want kids back in school with safety precautions in place, Leander ISD survey shows
- Austin ISD gives look at 'a day in the life' of virtual learning in reopening information session