AUSTIN, Texas — The weekend is here and, as always, there are a ton of things going on in the Austin area! From Juneteenth events to Pride celebrations, there's no shortage of interesting activities happening over the next few days.
Here’s a breakdown of some of the events you can attend this weekend.
Through the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863, enslaved people in the Confederate states were declared legally free. However, a quarter of a million people in Texas remained enslaved. It wasn't until June 19, 1865, that those people were declared free by executive decree.
Since then, Texans have celebrated June 19 as Juneteenth. And this year, there is no shortage of local celebrations planned throughout the whole weekend! For more on when and where, check out our guide to Juneteenth events in the Austin area.
Soul Food Truck Fest bills itself as "Austin's largest Juneteenth celebration," so it deserves its own spotlight. The festival will feature more than a dozen Texas Black-owned food trucks, more than 30 retail vendors, live music, face painting and more.
The fest describes itself as a "celebration of African-American food, community, culture and heritage," held in the heart of East Austin.
The fest will be take place on Saturday from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m. at Huston-Tillotson University, located at 900 Chicon Street.
Pflugerville Pride will host its inaugural Pride Pfestival on Saturday. The event is scheduled to feature drag queen Tammie Brown of "RuPaul's Drag Race," music by Tish & The Mizzbehavin' Band, comedy sets by Ky Krebs and Ava Smartt and more. Attendees will even see a familiar face: KVUE Meteorologist Shane Hinton will host a drag queen show!
The Pfestival will be held Saturday from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Main Street in Downtown Pflugerville.
This expo is for "lovers of the strange, unusual and bizarre." Located at the Palmer Events Center from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, a $10 ticket will get you access to a plethora of vendors, dealers, artists and small businesses specializing in "all things weird." You'll find items like taxidermy, artwork, horror and Halloween inspired pieces, antiques, creepy clothing, jewelry and much more.
Other events going on:
- Eli Young Band – Friday at Whitewater Music Amphitheater in New Braunfels
- The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust - 50th Anniversary feat. Moonage Daydreams – Friday at The Far Out Lounge and Stage
- Round Rock Express vs. Sugar Land Space Cowboys – Friday through Sunday at Dell Diamond (fireworks on Friday, '80s Night with The Spazmatics postgame concert on Saturday)
- Patton Oswalt – Saturday at the Paramount Theatre
- Anjelah Johnson-Reyes – Sunday at ACL Live
- Father's Day with James Bond feat. "Dr. No" and "The Spy Who Loved Me" – Sunday at the Paramount Theatre
Britny Eubank on social media: Twitter
PEOPLE ARE ALSO READING: