Posted on December 28, 2012 at 7:30 AM
Friday, Dec 28 at 10:33 PM
TRAVIS COUNTY, Texas -- Hundreds of families around Briar Creek Loop near Manor are still without gas service after a gas line exploded, knocking out service to more than 900 people.
Crews with Texas Community Propane worked throughout the night Thursday and into Friday morning to restore gas lines to affected customers, but many homeowners have faced frustration.
Homeowner Wayne Dean says he started calling Texas Community Propane around 5 a.m. on Friday to schedule a crew to come by and restore his lines. He got through to an operator shortly after 9 a.m. Within 10 minutes, one of the crew men showed up at his driveway. It took a matter of minutes to turn gas back on at his home. However hundreds of others are still waiting.
“There's a lot of elderly out here,” said Dean. “They're concerned because they're cold.”
The service went out around 2 p.m. on Thursday when a gas line at Dean’s neighbor’s house exploded. It’s still unclear what sparked the blast. Firefighters say the homeowner called to report a gas leak. Shortly after a crew arrived to investigate, the line sparked.
The two Texas Community Propane workers on site at the time suffered first and second degree burns. The company says they’re both still in the hospital, but doing well and are in good condition.
The fire burned through part of the home. Three adults and two children who lived in the house stayed at a hotel overnight.
An investigation into what sparked the blast is underway. Meanwhile Texas Community Propane is focused on restoring service to the rest of its affected customers. Homeowners who are still without service are asked to call 512-272-5503.
Crews will remain on standby in the neighborhood to respond to those calls.