Northwest Austin restaurant fire prompts second alarm


by TINA SHIVELY / KVUE News and Photojournalist KENNETH NULL

Bio | Email | Follow: @TinaS_KVUE

Posted on October 8, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Updated Tuesday, Oct 8 at 7:46 AM

AUSTIN -- Three retail stores were damaged after a Northwest Austin strip mall caught fire.

The Austin Fire Department arrived to find flames coming from the roof of the strip mall at U.S. 183 and Anderson Mill Tuesday around midnight.

Firefighters say the flames were so intense they had to call for backup. A passerby had called 911 when they saw flames shooting from the roof of the Nanking Restaurant.

The extra units called in were quickly released after crews worked together to control the flames.

"Crews were able to get up on the roof of the restaurant and extinguish the fire very quickly, keeping it confined to the vent system," Austin Fire Dept. Battalion Chief Palmer Buck said. "It did extend a little bit to the roof on top of the structure."

Investigators determined the fire started on the stove in the kitchen of the Nanking Restaurant and spread through the cooking ventilation system. The fire caused about $50,000 in damages to the strip mall.

No injuries were reported. The businesses on either side of the restaurant suffered only minor smoke damage.

Featured Videos Video
More Video