Ole Miss student expected to make full recovery


by Heather Kovar / KVUE News and photojournalist SCOTT GUEST

Bio | Email | Follow: @HeatherK_KVUE


Posted on September 30, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Updated Tuesday, Oct 1 at 11:36 AM

AUSTIN -- Carson Otter left the hospital Monday for a visit to the Texas State Capitol. It’s the first time since being beaten on Sixth Street in September that he’s left.

Carson’s mother Candy says someone took her to the Capitol while Carson was in the hospital. She wanted him to see it before going home to Bloomington, Indiana Wednesday.

They both express gratitude for the support people in Austin have given them.

"They fed us;  they've housed us; they've shuttled us. We've had a sweet lady do our laundry," said Candy Otter. "I came to Austin not knowing anyone, and I'm leaving with lifelong friends," she said.

They also appreciate that the Ole Miss Alumni Association in Austin has set up a way to help with medical bills. You can help by making donations to the CARSON OTTER CHARITY FUND.
Deposits are accepted at any Regions Bank location using account number 018977039.

A little more than two weeks ago doctors admitted Otter to ICU after someone hit the him in the head, knocking him unconscious. He then fell back causing his skull to fracture on the curb.

Otter showed KVUE where they took the 42 staples out saying, "I'm just happy to make it through safe. Safe and alright."

Doctors have said this recovery is a miracle. Otter's mom said, "To see him come this far is remarkable. It's answered prayers."

The senior will miss this semester of college, but he remains positive.

"It has happened and I can do two things of it. I can complain and gripe about it, or I can get back to normal -- get back to go, and just keep on moving. And that's what I’m trying to do," said Otter.

Carson was in Austin for the Ole Miss vs. UT football game. He was walking near East 7th and Trinity Streets around 2 a.m. the morning before the game, when he was hit in the head. A UT student he had just met saved him.

"He held my head basically together and waited for the ambulance to come pick me up,” Carson said.

Since then, rehab has been intense, starting with physical training then speech therapy and cognitive training.

"Having to restart my memory and all the while trying to build my memory up to what it was originally," Carson said.

Carson, a real estate finance major, says it has been painful but very rewarding. He says he might even return to work in Austin one day.

"I really love this town. It's been very, very kind to me."