AUSTIN -- Eight Central Texas educators received some much deserved recognition Thursday.
Teacher Kaci Moore got a surprise in her classroom at Barton Hills Elementary. She found out she's a finalist for this year's HEB Excellence in Education Awards. She gets a $1,000 check and so does her school.
"These kids. They make teaching so fun," Moore said through tears.
The other finalists also got a surprise visit in their classrooms Thursday. They'll be competing statewide for a $5,000 prize.
The other finalists are:
- Ben Chae of Pflugerville Elementary in Pflugerville ISD
- Penny Smeltzer of Westwood High School in Round Rock ISD
- Genia Antoine of Pflugerville Elementary
- Holly Brandt - Travis Heights Elementary in AISD
- Joel Johnson of Chapa Middle School in Hays ISD
- Lisa Windolph of McNeil High School
- David Pierce of Hays High School