TEXAS - Saturday's AT&T Red River Showdown between The University of Texas and the University of Oklahoma is one of the most anticipated college football games each season. The two teams will meet for the 112th time on Saturday, with every game since 1929 being played at the Texas State Fair. Since 1937, the annual rivalry game has been played inside The Cotton Bowl.
• Texas enters Saturday's game with an overall record of 3-2. The Longhorns sit atop the Big 12 Conference standings at 2-0, tied only with TCU. UT is coming off a 40-34, double-overtime victory against Kansas State last week in Austin. The Longhorns also defeated Iowa State 17-7 in Ames to begin conference play.
• Oklahoma comes into the game with a 4-1 mark under first-year head coach Lincoln Riley. The Sooners are coming off a loss at home to Iowa State, 38-31. OU opened the season with wins against UTEP, Ohio State and Tulane in non-conference play, before defeating Baylor on the road, 49-41, to begin Big 12 action.
National Game Coverage
• Saturday's game will kick off at 2:30 p.m. CT and is set to be broadcast on ESPN. Joe Tessitore will handle the play-by-play duties, while Todd Blackledge will provide analysis. Holly Rowe will report from the field.
The All-Time Series
• There is no rivalry quite like the Texas/Oklahoma series which is being played for the 112th time on Saturday.
• The series, which began in 1900, has been played in Dallas since 1912 and at the State Fair since 1929.
• Only Texas A&M (118 times) has played the Longhorns on more occasions. Since 1900, the only years Texas and Oklahoma have not played were 1918, '20, '21 and 1924-28.
• The first matchup between the two teams in 1900 ended with a 28-2 Longhorns' victory. Texas is the only Big 12 Conference team that holds an all-time series lead against the Sooners.
A Texas Win Would...
• Make Texas 4-2 overall and 3-0 in Big 12 Conference play.
• Mark the first time since 2013, and just the sixth time in 21 Big 12 seasons, that Texas has begun the conference slate 3-0.
• Increase the Longhorns' series lead to 62-45-5 overall.
• Be UT's third consecutive victory.
• Improve Texas' all-time record to 895-362-33. The 895 wins are the third-most in college football history.
• Make Tom Herman 2-0 in his career against Oklahoma and improve his career record to 26-6 (.813)
Head Coach Tom Herman
• Tom Herman is in his first season at Texas and his third season overall as a head coach. He is 25-6 in his career and 3-2 at Texas.
• He has a record of 6-1 against Top 25 opponents, 3-1 against Top 10 foes and 2-1 against teams inside the Top 5.
• Herman guided Houston to a 13-1 record and a win in the Peach Bowl during his first season. He was just the fourth head coach in NCAA history with at least 13 wins in a rookie season (Chris Petersen, George Woodruff, Walter Camp) and just the fifth to win the first 10 games of his career (Petersen, Woodruff, Camp and Larry Coker).
Red River Showdown Traditions
• Texas State Fair: The Texas-Oklahoma game is once again a part of the State Fair of Texas in 2017. After the series ended following a game in Austin in 1923, the tradition of the two schools playing at the State Fair began in 1929 in an old wooden structure called Fair Park Stadium. The new structure, also named Fair Park Stadium, but renamed the Cotton Bowl in 1936, was built in time for the 1930 matchup. The first Texas-OU game played at "The Cotton Bowl" was in 1937.
• The Battle Line: One of the unique characteristics of the great rivalry between Texas and Oklahoma is the colors. Tickets are divided equally and the stadium is split in half - burnt orange and crimson - at the 50 yard line. As the home team in 2017, the Longhorns will wear their burnt orange jerseys and occupy the west bench area (press box side).
• The Governor's Cup: The Governor's Cup is exchanged annually by the Governor of Texas (Greg Abbott) and the Governor of Oklahoma (Mary Fallin), following the AT&T Red River Showdown. The Tradition began when Texas Governor Dolph Briscoe donated the trophy and each year it is transported from the office of the previous year's winning Governor to Dallas. It is displayed in the Hall of State on game day and transported to the office of the winning Governor after it has received its engraving.
• The Golden Hat: To the victor goes the Golden Hat, a rotating trophy given annually to the winner of the Texas-Oklahoma game. A gold cowboy hat that is mounted on a large block of wood, it has been part of the rivalry since the State Fair of Texas donated it in 1941. When the hat first arrived, it was known as the "Bronze Hat" and was actually made out of bronze. The hat was reworked in the 1970s and came out gold, hence the name change to the "Golden Hat."
Red River Showdown Debut Games
• Texas' Tom Herman and Oklahoma's Lincoln Riley both make their head coaching debuts in the Red River Showdown Saturday.
• UT head coaches are 15-6-2 all-time in their first games against OU, including 2-0-1 when matching up against a first-year Sooner head coach.
• Saturday's matchup is the fourth time, and the first since 1947, in which both head coaches are in their first season at the school when entering the game.
© 2018 KVUE-TV