AUSTIN -- Circuit of the Americas has released travel tips for those attending this weekend's Formula 1 Grand Prix race.
COTA says thousands of visitors are expected in and around Austin Nov. 16-18, and heavy traffic is expected during peak times of the day. To make things easier, follow this list of travel tips:
- Leave early. Those attending the race should add an hour to their travel time to get to bus pick up locations. If you have an on-site parking pass, you should leave 90 minutes earlier. The gates of the track will open at 7:30 a.m. Friday-Sunday. Parking lots open at 6 a.m.
- Carpool with others when possible.
- Get on buses from recommended points to avoid overloading the shuttles. In-state attendees should go to the Travis County Expo Center. Out of state attendees and others should go to the shuttle location at 15th and Trinity Streets in downtown Austin. For more information on shuttles and COTA parking lots click here.
- Leave prohibited items behind. You cannot store them at the COTA gates. Click here for a list of prohibited items.
- Those with on-site parking passes should follow driving instructions on the back of their passes.
- Some streets are closed to all non-emergency vehicles. See which ones are closed here.
- Expect delays. Anticipate that congestion will occur on major highways and arteries which lead downtown.
- Wear comfortable shoes and dress for the weather.
- Plan to spend all day at the COTA track. Here is a calendar of events for the weekend.