AUSTIN -- Circuit of the Americas has released travel tips for those attending this weekend's Formula 1 Grand Prix race.
COTA says thousands of visitors are expected in and around Austin Nov. 15-17, and heavy traffic is expected during peak times of the day. To make things easier, follow this list of travel tips:
- Leave early. Those attending the race should add an hour to their travel time to get to bus pick up locations. If you have an on-site parking pass, you should leave 90 minutes earlier. Gates of COTA open at 7:30 a.m.
- Carpool with others when possible.
- Get on buses from recommended points to avoid overloading the shuttles.
- Leave prohibited items behind. You cannot store them at the COTA gates. Click here for a list of prohibited items.
- Those with on-site parking passes should follow driving instructions on the back of their passes.
- Some streets are closed to all non-emergency vehicles. See which ones are closed here.
- Expect delays. Anticipate that congestion will occur on major highways and arteries which lead downtown.
- Wear comfortable shoes and dress for the weather.
- Plan to spend all day at the COTA track. Here is a calendar of events for the weekend.
- ABIA is asking people leaving on Sunday and Monday to arrive at least two hours before departure times for all flights. Go here to check flight times.
- Choose the lot closest to your seat.
- Follow the recommended route which came with your parking pass.
- One shuttle will run a continuous loop along the outer service road west of the venue from the Grand Plaza to Turn 11 and back.
- Another shuttle will do the same things on the south side of the track from Turn 1 to the Main Grandstand to the Grand Plaza and back.
Downtown Austin shuttle:
- COTA offers a round-trip shuttle from the Austin Convention Center (Trinity and 4th Street) to the track for $5 a person per day.
- If you're staying in a downtown hotel, you are encouraged to leave your vehicle parked at your hotel and then walk to the Convention Center to take the shuttle.
- The shuttle will run Friday-Sunday 7 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Off-site Park + Ride lots:
- No drop-offs are allowed in the Park + Ride locations.
- Shuttle lot FM 973 Red is $10 per day or $20 for the weekend.
- Shuttle lot FM 812 Yellow is $10 per day or $20 for the weekend.
- Park + Ride locations will open at 7 a.m. daily.
- A shuttle will take race attendees to McAngus Road, half of a mile from COTA's Grand Plaza entrance.
At the race? Share your photos with us.