Texas Tech uses big 2nd half to down Texas St.


by Texas St. Media Relations


Posted on September 3, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Lubbock, Texas – Texas State put up a strong performance against Texas Tech, but the Red Raiders turned up their momentum in the second half to close out the game with a 50-10 win at Jones AT&T Stadium.


The Bobcats ran the ball a lot tonight, as quarterback Shaun Rutherford led all Bobcats with 82 rushing yards. Marcus Curry added 71 plus a touchdown, but it was the Bobcats passing game that suffered with just 75 total passing yards.


Texas State jumped out to a good start when Joplo Bartu sacked Seth Doege on the third play to force a punt. The Raiders had control of the ball for a mere 2:20.


True freshman Will Johnson made the most of his collegiate debut, as he connected on a 40 yard field goal with 6:30 to go in the first quarter to take a 3-0 lead on Texas Tech.


The Bobcat defense came up big when Darryl Morris forced and recovered a fumble on the Red Raider 41. Texas State went for it on 4th and 2 and it was slasher Tim Hawkins who ran five yards to capture a first down. Hawkins grabbed possession of the ball on the next play and rushed for 12 yards to the Texas Tech five.


Rutherford had an 11-yard gain to the nine yard line that had to be reviewed by the booth, after initially being called for a fumble with less than three on the clock. It was ruled that Rutherford’s knee was down and the Bobcats kept possession of the ball.


Two plays later Marcus Curry rushed for the Bobcats first touchdown of the day after a seven yard run landed him in the end zone.


All it took for TexasTech was three plays and 60 yards to score. Doege was able to connect with Brad Marquez on a 10-yard touchdown pass. Unfortunately, Texas State was soon called for intentional grounding in the end zone and as a result it was ruled a safety. The error gave The Red Raiders a pair of points and enough to trim the Bobcat lead to one with less than a minute in the first.


Much of the second half was a back and forth possession game between the two clubs. Linebacker Brian Lilly came up with a hard hit on Doedge as he sacked the QB on 3 and 17 to give the Red Raiders a loss of 11 to take them out of field goal range. The play forced Texas Tech to punt and the Bobcats got the ball back with less than three minutes to go in the half.


The Bobcats entered the half with a seven-minute edge in possession time and a two-yard edge in total offense (141-139).Texas State was also perfect in the red-zone (3 of3).


Texas State began the third half with a surge, but a fumble by Rutherford on the Red Raider 17 handed Texas Tech back the ball with 11 minutes left in the quarter.


Texas Tech used a 20-point third quarter showing to get the home crowd rallied as it took a 19-point lead on the visiting team.


The Red Raiders tacked on three more touchdown as it beat the Bobcats by 40 in the first-ever meeting between the two teams. Doege finished the game with 326 passing yards and three touchdown passes. Eric Stephens rushed for 118.


Texas State will return to the field on Saturday, Sept. 9 to play Wyoming at War Memorial Stadium in Laramie. Kickoff is set for 5 p.m. CT.