I gave Tyler and Terri a few Wonderlic questions, since they were unimpressed by the results by future NFL quarterbacks. Terri scored a 40 and Tyler a 32.
Here are the answers to the questions!
1. Answer: 14. Since the class has three times as many girls as boys, the class is composed of 75% girls and 25% boys. To find the number of points each boy scores on average, we solve the following equation: 0.75*18 + 0.25*X = 17, where X is the number of points each boy scores on average. Solving for X gives X = 14, so the boys average 14 points per game.
2. Answer: 192 days. There are 48 different combinations of ties and shirts (8 different ties for each of the 6 pairs of pants), and then four different shirts for each of these combinations. In numerical form: 8 x 6 x 4 = 192.
3. Answer: $357. John's base wage can be figured by multiplying his pay per hour by the number of hours he worked: $8.50 x 36 = 306. His bonus for oil changes is calculated by multiplying the payment per oil change by the number of oil changes performed: 17 x 3 = 51. These two products can then be added together.
4. Answer: 9 cm. Volume is calculated as the product of length, width, and height, so if height is set as Y: 6 x 7 x Y = 378. This can be rearranged to 378 / 42 = Y = 9.
5. Answer: 25. This kind of problem can be easily solved by simply finding the average of the two extremes in the range: (13 + 37) / 2 = 25.
6. Answer: 12 points.
7. Answer: No. Arnold will only save $10 by using the oil (.5 x (500 / 25)), and this is still $6 less than the cost of the oil.
8. Answer: 56 cents. First, divide the number of inches in 2 feet (24) by 3;then, multiply this number (8) by the price of 3 inches of rope: 8 x 7 = 56
9 Answer: 80.The next number is found by multiplying the previous number by 2.
10. Answer: 78.The next number is taken by adding one to each number and then multiplying this sum by 2.
11. Answer: 65. The next number is found by multiplyingthe number by 2 and then subtracting one from theproduct.
12. Answer: 1/9.
13. Answer: 1.5. The next number is found by dividing each number by 2.
14. Answer: 60.Be sure to identify the position of the decimal point.
15. Answer: 0.04. Be sure to identify the position of the decimal point.
16. Answer: 0.09. It may be helpful to say the numbers out loud: "9 hundredths" is clearly smaller than "54 hundredths."
17. Answer: 629. Make sure to note the number of place values rather than simply looking at the value of the first digit in the number.
18.A: Have similar meanings.
19.B: Have opposite meanings.
20. C, Have neither the same nor different meanings. To aspire to something is to set it as a goal, while a spire is the pointed top of a building, especially a church.
21 B, Have opposite meanings. To produce something is to bring it into existence, while to reduce it is to take part of it out of existence.
22. 6 pancakes
23. 3 hours
24. 30 rocket engines are required. The first stage consists of 16 rockets, the second stage is 8 rockets, the third stage is 4 rockets, and the final stage is 2 rockets.
PS. I didn't make up the questions or the answers! I did a little "cut and paste" from some different websites!