Unattended fireplace sets southwest Houston home on fire

Unattended fireplace sets southwest Houston home on fire

Credit: KHOU

According to the Houston Fire Department, it was around 3:45 a.m. when firefighters responded to reports of flames at a home on Boridge at Beechaven in southwest Houston.

Print
Email
|

by KHOU.com

kvue.com

Posted on January 16, 2013 at 9:48 AM

HOUSTON –- Firefighters were called to an early morning house fire believed to have been caused by an unattended fireplace early Wednesday.

According to the Houston Fire Department, it was around 3:45 a.m. when firefighters responded to reports of flames at a home on Boridge at Beechaven in southwest Houston.

Firefighters were able to quickly get the blaze under control, but the fire had already burned the home’s roof and second floor.

The homeowners were able to escape unharmed.

According to HFD, the residents had their fireplace lit and went to bed with it still burning. The fire someone escaped the fireplace and jumped to a wall in the home.

An HFD spokesman said the incident should be a reminder for everyone to get their fireplaces checked by a professional and to never leave a fire unattended.

Print
Email
|