HARRIS COUNTY, Texas — A hotel under construction on Hempstead Hwy at FM-1960 caught fire early Tuesday morning.
The fire was first reported around 3 a.m. Firefighters arrived to find a four-story tower of fire that quickly caused portions of the building to collapse.
Several hours later, firefighters with the Cy-Fair Volunteer Fire Department were still looking through the smoldering rubble for any hotspots.
No serious injuries were reported, but one firefighter was sent to the hospital to get checked out for a burn to his neck.
At the peak of the fire, witnesses reported seeing the smoke for miles around. Guests at the neighboring Best Western had to evacuate because of the blaze, which covered their vehicles covered in ash.
“I heard some noise outside and looked out and flames were all coming out the windows,” said guest Mike Roberts.
The fire was so close, it caused smoke damaged to the motel Roberts was staying in.
A cause for the fire wasn’t immediately determined.