Hasan guilty on all counts; death penalty possible



Bio | Email | Follow: @JessicaV_KVUE


Posted on August 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Updated Saturday, Aug 24 at 3:09 PM

FORT HOOD -- A military panel has found Major Nidal Malik Hasan guilty of the Fort Hood shooting rampage which killed 13 people and injured more than 30 others on Nov. 5, 2009.

In his court martial on Friday the military panel found him guilty of all charges: 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted murder.

Hasan is scheduled to receive his sentence Monday, Aug. 26, at 9 a.m.

Members of the military panel deliberated for more than three hours on Thursday and three and a half on Friday. Media inside the courtroom say Hasan looked at the jury panel president as she read the verdict. Family members of some of the victims wept quietly.

Just after noon Friday, the jury had two questions  -- one about a type error on the worksheet they fill out and a clarification on rules of finding guilt/innocence on the worksheet.
The case moved much faster than expected, mostly because Hasan has kept quiet. He never called a witness and only cross examined three of the 89 witnesses prosecutors called to the stand.

During closing arguments on Thursday, Hasan, who’s representing himself in the trial, wrapped up by saying the he had no closing argument statement to give.
Prosecutors, however, spent 91 minutes detailing the day of the shooting. They threw out every piece of evidence they could find, including the guns and ammunition Hasan bought before the shooting, his target practice and his surveying at the Soldier Readiness Center.

"They actually put on 90 minutes worth of evidence that he had planned this out really meticulously, down to paper towels stuffed in his pockets to hide the clanking of his ammunition. And it was really a kind of overwhelming display of evidence," explained Jeremy Schwartz, reporter for the Austin American-Statesman.

Hasan has admitted in court that he was the gunman, but the military panel was posed to decide if the attack was premeditated. Part of that came down to Hasan's motive.

"The government alleged the accused had two motives for the shooting. First, that the accused did not want to deploy. If made to deploy he stated: ‘They will pay,’" said Tom Rheinlander, Director of Fort Hood public affairs. “The other motive by the prosecution was that Major Hasan came to believe he had a Jihad duty to kill as many soldiers as possible."
Witnesses testified that Hasan yelled the words ‘Allahu Akbar’ during the 2009 shooting.

For much of the trial, Hasan hasn't shown much emotion but on Thursday, during closing arguments, his interest peaked when prosecutors played FBI video from the SRC.

Witnesses in the courtroom say he viewed it as if it was a trophy.
It only took nine of the 13 Army officers on the military panel to find Hasan guilty. Since he was found guilty of all murder and attempted murder charges, he is now eligible for the death sentence.