AUSTIN -- Thousands of Texans will hit the road to travel for Spring Break vacation next week.
The Texas Department of Transportation has tips to make things easier for those traveling on Interstate 35 March 11-17. TxDOT says it will have no main closures between Williamson and Hays Counties, so traffic won't be held up.
“No one likes road delays,” said Austin District Engineer Greg Malatek. “To ensure a smooth commute, motorists should plan their trip in advance."
Malatek also says to visit this website to stay on top of highway conditions.
Follow these tips and you'll have an easier trip:
- Expect delays. Leave early to allow for delays.
- Do not drink and drive. Always designate a sober driver.
- Buckle up and secure all passengers in the vehicle, as required by Texas law.
- Be patient and take your time. Being in a rush can decrease safety.
- Drive for the road conditions. Adjust vehicle speeds to traffic and weather conditions.
- Avoid distractions for the driver. Never text and drive.
TxDOT also wants to warn drivers that there will be some traffic delays in other areas of Texas, including a 60-mile construction zone in the Waco area.