BRYAN, Texas (AP) -- Emergency responders from across the state will join other mourners to remember two Central Texas firefighters killed in an accidental blaze linked to an electrical short.
A public memorial service will be held Wednesday at Central Baptist Church in College Station for Bryan firefighters Lt. Eric Wallace and Lt. Gregory Pickard. Both died Saturday of injuries suffered while fighting a blaze at an unoccupied Knights of Columbus Hall.
Fire Chief Randy McGregor says the fire that broke out Friday night in the kitchen area was caused by failure of an electrical cord.
Two other firefighters were hurt. Ricky Mantey (man-TYE') Jr. and Mitchel Moran (muh-RAN') remained in serious but stable condition Wednesday at a Galveston hospital. McGregor says both have improved and are able to stand and walk short distances.