Explosion levels house

Explosion levels house

Credit: Trent Harris / Courtesy

Residents were evacuated before an explosion at a Gainesville home.

Print
Email
|

by MARJORIE OWENS & STEVE STOLER

WFAA

Posted on January 24, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Updated Thursday, Dec 5 at 3:28 PM

GAINESVILLE, Texas -- Fire crews arrived at the scene of a home explosion to find the residence fully engulfed in flames, said a sergeant with the Gainesville Fire Department.

The explosion, which completely destroyed the home in the 200 block of West Tennie Street, was reported at about 7 a.m., according to Sgt. Bobby Balthrop.

City Manager Barry Sullivan said a city utilities crew was called to the area at about 1:36 a.m. to repair a water leak from a 12-inch main.

"City crews disturbed a gas line during the emergency repair," he said.

Atmos Energy was alerted and sent workers to test the air in the area. An Atmos spokeswoman said the detection of high levels of natural gas led to an evacuation of seven homes. Included in the evacuations were four people inside the home that subsequently exploded, the spokeswoman said.

No one was injured in the explosion.

As of noon, a two-block radius was cleared as Atmos crews worked to fix the problem.

A temporary shelter was set up at the Whaley United Methodist Church, located at 701 Rosedale Drive.

 

Print
Email
|