19 shot at New Orleans Mother's Day parade

Print
Email
|

kvue.com

Posted on May 13, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Updated Thursday, Nov 14 at 1:19 PM

NEW ORLEANS -- New Orleans police say at least 19 people either attending or taking part in a Mother's Day second-line parade in the 7th Ward were wounded in a shooting.

Original reports had the number at a dozen people injured at the Original Big 7 Second Line, but that has since been upped to 19 -- ten men, seven women, a 10-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl.

Police say many of the victims suffered graze wounds, including the two young victims. There have been no fatalities, and police say most of the injuries are non-life threatening. Two people were in surgery.

Police believe three suspects were involved. They were seen fleeing on Frenchmen toward Claiborne Avenue. One of the suspects is "a dark skinned male, 18 to 24 years old, short hair wearing a white shirt and blue jean shorts," said NOPD Superintendent Ronal Serpas.

“We can tell you without doubt that this police department will find these guys," Serpas said. "We will find them, and we will bring them to custody and will make them pay for the crime they committed today.”

Police say there were 200 people at the corner where shots rang out, and 300 to 400 people at the second line in all.

“I think what frustrates all of us is the selfishness of some people, and I think what frustrates all of us is that the great culture of this city sometimes stumbles a bit because of the selfish behavior of some people,” Serpas said.

There were about 10 cops on the scene trying to control the second line when the shooting happened. There were reportedly two different guns involved.

There was a shooting nearby just last week at Frenchmen and Claiborne.

Print
Email
|