ROUND ROCK -- Tyler Sieswerda headed to Round Rock Thursday to investigate two restaurants where health inspectors said they found roaches in the kitchen and an owner putting his finger in the food.
The first restaurant inspected was the Golden Palace at 1401 South I-35 in Round Rock. It failed its Williamson County health inspection on Aug. 15 with 31 demerits.
Among the problems spotted by the inspector: there were roaches in the kitchen and raw eggs held at the wrong temperature. The eggs were thrown out on the spot. The inspector also observed the owner taste a product with his finger and then put his finger back in the product, causing it to become contaminated.
On the required follow up inspection, Golden Palace passed with three demerits.
Mongolian Grille at 115 Sundance Parkway in Round Rock failed its Aug. 9 inspection with 34 demerits.
Problems there include roaches found in the kitchen and a dirty refrigerator with mold and residue inside. Food including tofu, sliced sausage, tomatoes and cooked pasta were held at the wrong temperature. They were all thrown out on the spot.
During a follow up inspection, Mongolian Grille passed with six demerits.