New photos of bombing suspect's capture emerge

New photos of bombing suspect's capture emerge

Credit: Boston Magazine / ABC News

A sniper's laser target aimed at Boston Marathon suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's head is seen in this photo by Massachusetts State Police Sgt. Sean Murphy and posted by Boston magazine. (Boston Magazine)

Print
Email
|

by ABC News

kvue.com

Posted on July 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Updated Friday, Jul 19 at 9:28 AM

(ABC News) -- New, never-before-seen photos showing the moments before Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's capture emerged Thursday amid the release of a controversial Rolling Stone cover featuring the 19-year-old.

The photos of Tsarnaev's capture that first appeared on Boston magazine's website showed Tsarnaev covered with what appeared to be blood and a sniper's laser on his head.

The photos were credited to a tactical photographer, Massachusetts State Police Sgt. Sean Murphy.

Murphy and the photos, whose release was not authorized, now are the subjects of an internal Massachusetts State Police investigation, officials said. Murphy's duty status, meaning whether he will remain on full duty, restricted duty or suspension, will be determined next week, pending the outcome of the internal investigation, the state police said.

The release of the previously unseen photos of the night of Tsarnaev's capture, according to Boston magazine, came in response to Rolling Stone magazine's controversial August cover that features Tsarnaev.

Critics of the Rolling Stone Tsarnaev cover said it glorifies the alleged bomber.

Tsarnaev pleaded not guilty last week to 30 counts associated with the bombing. Tsarnaev is accused of working with his older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, to set off a pair of bombs near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15, killing three and injuring more than 260 people.

Go here to read the full story on ABC.com.

Print
Email
|