ROUND ROCK, Texas - Police continue to investigate a disturbing death inRoundRock. A young man killed himself using a poisonous gas. Now we're learning it's not the first time.
Around 10:15 a.m.Wednesday,25-year-old Jarrod Banks was found dead inside his car in a parking lot off Old Settler's Blvd. Thursday afternoon WilliamsonCountyJustice of thePeace DainJohnson confirmed Banks committed suicide.
After KVUE's report aired Wednesday night, a father came forward saying his 18-year-oldsonfrom Round Rock died the same way.
KVUE spoke with the young man's father, JeffCurley.He's afraid this type of suicide is happening more often. Curley says people are mixing dangerous chemicals and inhaling them.
It rips a family apart completely, said Curley.
Curley believes something as simple as music could save a life.
You can get up everyday and cry, but if you don't do anything to try and prevent it for others, than you're not honoring the death of your child, said Curley.
He created the non-profit organization Pick withAustin to honor his son.He uses donated guitars to get kids' minds off depression and on music.
It allows them a way to express themselves.So often they're depressed because they don't know how to express themselves, said Curley.
Curley says two years ago, he and his wife woke up to a strong odor coming from their son's room.They found Alan inside a closet with a bucket.
He mixed the two chemicals.It happens so fast, saidCurley.
After the police returned the boy's computer, he took a look at the history.He saw videos for how to kill yourself painlessly.
There were step-by-step video's explaining how to do this. I asked YouTube to take them down.I pleaded with the author of the video, and finally he took it off, said Curley.
Curley will continue to spread his message, sharing music with young people, in hopes to save lives.