Unusual insurance award goes to the dogs...and cats

BREA, CALIFORNIA - Nationwide Insurance said it has nominated 11 candidates out of 1.5 million pet insurance claims for the 8th Annual Hambone Award which is given to honor the most unusual pet insurance claim of the year.

All of the pets that were nominated have made full recoveries and the list features quite a hodgepodge of painful, and other times, humorous or inspiring incidents. The award was originally named after a dog who ate an entire Thanksgiving ham while stuck in a refrigerator.

Past winners of the award include a Boxer who swallowed a barbeque skewer; a Labrador who at an entire beehive with the bees still inside; a bulldog who swallowed 15 baby pacifiers, a bottle cap, and a piece of a basketball; and a pug who ate and subsequently passed more than 100 rocks.

The full list of nominees is below and you can vote at www.hamboneaward.com through October 3.

  • Freckles the Cocker Spaniel (Brooklyn, N.Y.). Freckles' eager palate nearly led to her demise when she passed out from oxygen deprivation after getting her head stuck in a potato chip bag.
  • Stark the American short haired cat (Naples, Fla.). Named after the famous super hero, Stark took his "Iron Man" moniker too literally when he attempted to fly off his cat tree and ended up hanging by his tail from a set of window blinds.
  • Oso the Blue Heeler mix (La Mesa, Calif.). Oso is an incredibly athletic dog with a long list of active hobbies including surfing and hiking. However, one of Oso's field trips took a terrible turn when he misjudged a leap and crash head first into a cement barrier, shattering his snout.
  • Rocky the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (Sacramento, Calif.). Rocky enjoys taking long naps on the family couch, but one day his comfort turned into a calamity when he slipped between the couch cushions while asleep and dislocated both of his hips trying to get out.
  • Rosie the Sphynx cat (Bee Cave, TX). Rosie is quite the rebel, but one day her mouser mischief nearly led to her demise after she snuck inside a reclining chair and was crushed upon its close.
  • Mitten the cat and Sasha the Poodle (Port Washington, N.Y.). A cold day turned terrifying when Sasha, Mitten, and the entire family suffered severe carbon monoxide poisoning after a faulty detector failed to alert them of a leak in their house.
  • Thunder the Giant Schnauzer (Skillman, N.J.). Thunder's favorite household hobby involves stealing his family members' belongings and parading them around the house. However, one day his shenanigans left him breathless after he snatched up an asthma inhaler and ingested its contents.
  • Myles the Great Dane (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.). Myles' playtime activities have been marred by his odd obsession with eating random items of clothing, which nearly turned deadly after he swallowed a pair of toddler sized jeans…whole!
  • Kismet the Jack Russell terrier (Salt Lake City, Utah). Kismet's bravery saved his owner's life when the tiny terrier intervened during a violent home invasion that left both he and his owner critically injured and thankful to be alive.
  • Lily the Border collie (St. Paul, Minn.). Lily's longtime hatred of the vacuum cleaner boiled over into an appliance ambush that landed her in the veterinary emergency room with severe mouth injuries after she got her mouth caught inside the suction tool.
  • Ludmila the Tibetan terrier (Pittsburgh, Pa.). Ludmila's incredible curiosity got the best of her when she managed to get her head stuck in a solid oak coffee table so snug that not even the fire department could get her out.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment