Texas woman warns parents after daughter chokes on part of fidget spinner

TEXAS - While they were designed to help people focus, relieve stress and stop fidgeting, many kids love fidget spinners because they're, well, "fun." But now a Texas woman is warning other parents after her child put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it.

Kelly Rose Joniec posted several photos on Facebook Monday, including a shot of the fidget spinner and an X-Ray of the object lodged in her daughter's esophagus. Since posting about their "pretty eventful Saturday," Joniec's post has been shared over 700,000 times.

The viral post was originally written as a "word of caution to parents." She said the bushings on fidget spinners pop out easily, posing a potential choking hazard.

Joniec said that on the way home from a swim meet Saturday, her daughter Britton started to "make an odd retching noise in the back seat."

"Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth -- she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over," Joniec said. "She pointed to her throat saying she'd swallowed something, so I attempted Heimlich but there was no resistance. She said she'd put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it."

Her daughter then ended up at Texas Children's Hospital in the Woodlands, where an X-Ray showed the spinner bushing lodged in her esophagus. She was taken to surgery to endoscopically locate and remove the object.

KVUE reached out Joniec and Texas Children's Hospital Thursday. The hospital said the family is not speaking with the media at this time.

© 2017 KVUE-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment