AUSTIN - The Trump administration Friday requested $44 billion in disaster aid from Congress. This is the administration's third request since hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria hit.
According to ABC News, this would bring the total appropriated for disaster relief close to $100 billion.
But Texas lawmakers are criticizing this recent request as too small.
Governor Greg Abbott said he has not seen all the details yet in the request from Congress, but based on what he knows so far, it is “completely inadequate.”
He was joined by U.S. Senator John Cornyn, Department of Housing and Urban Development Deputy Secretary Pamela Patenaude and Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush.
They were at the Texas State Capitol today announcing $5 billion in grants from HUD. The money will help Texans who are rebuilding from Harvey.
The grant's administration will be led by the Texas General Land Office.
But because the need is still so great, Gov. Abbott and several lawmakers said the Trump administration's Office of Management and Budget needs to follow through.
"The president has said that he wants this to be the best recovery from a disaster ever,” said Gov. Abbott. “When you compare what has been offered up by OMB, to what was provided in the aftermath after just Hurricane Sandy, you'll see that this falls short."
U.S. Senator John Cornyn said it is time for the federal government to live up to its responsibilities.
“After we examined what happened following Superstorm Sandy, what happened after Hurricane Katrina, we’re not going to be asking to be treated any better than anybody else,” said U.S. Senator John Cornyn. “But we’re sure not going to tolerate being treated worse.”
Gov. Abbott said hopefully this request is just one of multiple in the road to recovery.
© 2017 KVUE-TV