AUSTIN - Nearly two months after an Austin police officer was exposed to carbon monoxide while driving in his patrol car, officials said another officer was possibly exposed to the poisonous gas, KVUE's and the Austin American-Statesman's Tony Plohetski learned Monday.
However, the officer in this most recent incident was not harmed. Sources said it reportedly happened a week ago.
Officials said after the severity of the first case, which ailed the officer to the extent that he hasn't been able to return to work, authorities installed CO detectors in all of their Ford Explorers as a preventative measure.
In the most recent case, the detector sounded off, which officials credit with saving the second officer from getting sick.
"We wanted to make sure we provided an extra layer of protection. If officers are going to have the potential to be exposed, it is in the best interest and the safety of our officers to provide some kind of security," Austin Police Assistant Chief Ely Reyes said.
Officials said the officer turned his vehicle into city fleet maintenance for them to conduct testing.
Officials with the Austin Police Department said since the incident in March, departments across the country have reached out to them. They admitted to struggling with the same issue as well.
© 2018 KVUE-TV