CENTRAL TEXAS - Scammers are calling Pedernales Electric Cooperative members, posing as employees and threatening to disconnect members' service if an immediate payment is not made, according to the cooperative in a statement.
PEC said the scammers appear to target business owners, but all PEC members should be on alert. If PEC members are contacted by someone claiming to be an employee, they should verify the call by contacting PEC toll-free at 1-888-554-4732 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m.
PEC said they do not call members demanding payment.
Victims of the scam have reported some of the following characteristics in the phone calls:
- The call comes from a California number
- The caller tells the member they are calling for PEC and the member was mailed a letter about problems with their account and now must pay to avoid disconnection
- The caller tells the member to go to Office Max, get a RELOADIT card and call back to pay past due amounts
- The caller instructs members not to call any other PEC number to make the payment
- If the scammer doesn’t hear back from the member, the member receives a call from a different individual saying they are the technician coming out to disconnect the meter
Anyone who has information about this scam or thinks they have been a victim should contact their local law enforcement agency or the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division.