AUSTIN - Thanks to a neighbor, several residents were able to escape a burning duplex located across from an elementary school in South Austin Monday morning.
According to Palmer Buck with Austin Fire Department, a neighbor who lives on Westcreek Drive heard a noise, found the fire and knocked on the duplex in order to get everyone out of the residence. Nine people (six adults and three children) made it out safely. Seven of them lived in the duplex and are now displaced.
KVUE's Cori Coffin reports that the fire, which was sparked outside of the home, has completely destroyed the duplex. The fire department is still looking into the cause.
The "fully involved" fire at the two-story duplex happened right across the street from Patton Elementary School. The Austin Police Department is working with the Austin Independent School District to assist with getting students to the school, according to the AFD.
This developing story will update as more information becomes available.