Fire Marshal: Hays Co. grass fire caused by improper garbage burning

Hays Co. fire engulfs more than 150 acres

A fire that burned through 150 acres of land east of Kyle was caused by a resident who improperly set fire to household garbage items in a backyard, Hays County officials said Tuesday.

Hays County Office of Emergency Management and Hays County Sheriff's Office said multiple fire departments were called to  the area of Mathias Lane and Peaceful Valley Monday Afternoon.

At 4 p.m., Hays County officials said the fire was completely contained. As a result, roads were reopened, bus schedules resumed and residents were allowed to return to their homes.

 

 

The sheriff's office said initially the Kyle Fire Department had requested additional assistance from Wildland Task Force 3 to assist knocking down the fire. Deputies at the scene helped with the evacuation of several nearby homes, including a shed that was completely engulfed in flames. 

The Office of Emergency Management said Hays CISD and county emergency services opened the Science Hall Elementary School gym as a place evacuated residents could go.

 

 

“The wind was too high for proper outdoor burning and the fire was too close to tall grass,” said Fire Marshal Clint Browning. “The fire is still under investigation as we are trying to determine the full extent of the damage.” 

Hays County officials said two sheds and four cars were destroyed in the blaze. No homes were damaged and no one was injured. No charges have been filed as of 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.

(© 2016 KVUE)


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment