Hays Co. judge releases injunction to temporarily close gun range

HAYS COUNTY, Texas -- A Hays County judge has released a temporary injunction forcing a local gun range to close its doors until safety upgrades are made.

Since the County Line Shooting Center opened in 2013, adjoining property owners say stray bullets have been entering their property, threatening their safety and livestock.

"We've been terrified. Everybody is afraid. I'm totally relieved, we are elated," said Lorraine Torres Thursday, one of the plaintiffs in the case.

According to the injunction, the range must be brought to National Rifle Association standards. The changes include raising the berms, installing material to absorb and capture bullets, removing any material that may cause bullets to ricochet and smoothing the range floor.

Attorney Charles Soechting represented the two families who filed suit. He said that he, and the people he represents, don't represent anti-gun politics or policy- in fact, they are all gun owners.

"It's hard, but there are more and more attorneys willing to take on these unsafe ranges," said Soechting.

The Hays County attorney said he felt Judge Bruce Boyer's ruling validated their argument that the range had not been built in accordance with NRA standards, though owners pledged to do so.

"It's hard to feel sorry for someone who makes a conscious decision to do something bad," said Soechting.

When reached .for comment Thursday, the person who answered the shooting center's phone had no comment on the decision. But in previous interviews with KVUE, County Line Shooting Center Dean Murphy told KVUE he believed the range had been built according to proper safety standards.

The injunction order is only temporary. The judge's decision stated the range can reopen when safety enhancements are made. The plaintiffs intend to ask for a permanent injunction in an upcoming trial.

Update: Gun range co-owner Lisa Murphy contacted KVUE late Thursday evening to say the business has not shut down.

Although the judge released the injunction, Murphy says since he has yet to officially sign it they remain open for business.

"We are not shut down, the judge has not signed the order yet," said Murphy in a voicemail left for KVUE.

More updates as they become available.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment