Family sleeping through NYE fire rescued after neighbors call 911

Around 2 dozen people are without a home today after cranking up the heat in their homes. Firefighters responded to three different fires in just 24 hours where they believe heater malfunctions were to blame.

AUSTIN - Thanks to neighbors who called 911 to report that flames were shooting through the roof of a two-story duplex across the street on New Year's Eve, a family who slept through the fire was able to make it out alive, according to the Austin Fire Department.

AFD told KVUE that the family that was sleeping at the duplex located at 2411 Burleson Road did not know about the fire because their fire alarms were not working at the time. The residents who lived in the other part of the building were not home at the time of the fire.

When AFD arrived at the residence, flames were visible through the roof. Officials said the building was a total loss, but all six occupants of the residence have been accounted for and one dog was rescued. Red Cross is assisting the six displaced residents. A GoFundMe page has been created for one of the residents and her 15-year-old son. Go here to donate.

WATCH: Fire destroys duplex, displaces 6

AFD said the cause of the fire was accidental. Specifically, the duplex's heating system failed, and wind conditions caused the fire to spread into the attic. Due to a lack of siding on the building due to renovations, the fire was exacerbated, AFD said. The damage done to the structure was estimated at $150,000 and the damage to the contents inside was estimated at $75,000. 

© 2018 KVUE-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment