AUSTIN - After a fire started in a pit room at around 5:30 a.m. at Austin's beloved Franklin Barbecue Saturday morning, the Austin Fire Department have since put it out and said there were no reported injuries.
According to a fire official, a cook had been alone in the building since midnight when he started smokers in the pit room. He was cooking in a different room when he smelled something that was not smoke, AFD said. He went to the pit room and found flames before calling authorities. The fire moved from that room to the attic of the building.
The cook was able to get out of the restaurant safely.
AFD has not determined what the cause of the fire was.
Austin Fire estimates $350,000 worth of damage was done to Franklin BBQ due to the fire.=
KVUE's Rebeca Trejo said no time frame has been determined in terms of when Franklin will open again. While AFD said there is smoke damage that needs to be fixed, they said Franklin Barbecue is salvageable.
The restaurant posted on Instagram their thanks to the Austin Fire Department and their plans to rebuild.
"Much love to the Austin fire department for helping us save the restaurant today. The fire destroyed the smokehouse but we plan to rebuild and reopen asap. We are happy to report that everyone is safe and we feel all the love ❤️ from your texts emails and comments. @austinfiredept," Franklin BBQ said in an Instagram post.
© 2017 KVUE-TV