Abbott reveals severe burns came from shower

TEXAS - Gov. Greg Abbott on Saturday revealed new details about how he was severely burned earlier this year, saying it happened in the shower.

"I was in a shower with scalding water on my feet," said Abbott, who is paralyzed from the waist down and uses a wheelchair. "Because of my paralysis, I couldn't feel the burns that were taking place, and as a consequence, it was like having my feet in scalding water for several minutes. And it resulted in third-degree burns to my feet."

At the time of the incident in July, Abbott's office said he suffered "second- and third-degree burns" after being accidentally scalded by hot water during a family vacation in Wyoming. Aides had declined to elaborate on the circumstances.

"I got tremendous treatment from the skilled experts at Brooke Army Medical Center," Abbott said Saturday, referring to the San Antonio hospital. "They had to do grafting on both of my feet, and it has healed miraculously — very, very swiftly."

Read the complete article on The Texas Tribune's website.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment