Testimony continues in Norwood murder trial


by SHANNON MURRAY / KVUE News and Photojournalist MICHAEL MOORE

Bio | Email | Follow: @ShannonM_KVUE


Posted on March 20, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Updated Monday, Apr 15 at 4:08 PM

SAN ANGELO, Texas -- Emotional testimony continued Wednesday in the capital murder trial of Mark Norwood, who is accused of killing Christine Morton back in 1986.

Morton's older brother, John Kirkpatrick, took the stand Wednesday morning. He emotionally testified that he was close to his sister, as they were only two years apart. When prosecutors asked him if testifying was hard for him, he responded "No it's not. It's time."

On the stand, Kirkpatrick remembered going to his sister's wedding and even joked about catching her bouquet, then he broke down in tears as he described a phone call from his dad on the day of her murder. He says his father told him, "I'm going to tell you the worst news you're every going to hear in your life." Kirkpatrick told jurors that it was.

Kirkpatrick says he went to the scene the next day and decided to take matters in his own hands. Playing the role of an intruder, he looked around the Morton's home and discovered a discolored blue bandanna.

That bandanna has recently tested positive for carrying Norwood's DNA, along with Christine Morton's blood. Prosecutors say this links Norwood to the crime scene. This evidence also exonerated Christine's husband Michael of the crime. He wrongfully spent 25 years in prison for her murder.

Prosecutors believe the bandanna and a pistol stolen from the home that day in 1986 are key pieces of evidence which link Norwood to the crime.

But there are always two sides to every story.  KVUE spoke with Norwood's family in San Angelo. They say Norwood is innocent and that there will be a lot more to come out of the case over the next two weeks.

Norwood's mother Dorothy has been sworn in as a witness. She now says she is unsure if she will be called to testify.

Norwood is also accused of killing Debra Baker in Travis County in 1988, two years after Morton's murder.

KVUE.com and KVUE News will have full coverage of Norwood's trial over the coming weeks. Check the website and download our FREE KVUE News mobile app for up-to-date coverage.

Austin Local News Video
More Video