AUSTIN -- According to a letter sent to parents of Bedicheck Middle School students, a masked man attempted to lure a student into his vehicle Monday morning.
In the letter, principal Dan Diehl said the student refused the man's advances, ran to safety, and immediately reported the incident.
Diehl says police are investigating and have increased patrols in the school's area.
Read Diehl's letter in its entirety below:
Dear Bedichek Middle School community,
The safety of all students is our number one priority at Bedichek Middle School. With that in mind, we would like to inform you about an incident that occurred today near the Bedichek campus. This morning, a white unmarked vehicle approached a student who was walking to school. A masked man jumped out of the vehicle and attempted to lure the student inside. Fortunately, the student did the right thing and refused the individual’s advances, ran to safety and immediately reported this information to school officials. Police are investigating the situation and have increased patrols in the area.
We will continue to keep you updated with any additional information as it becomes available. To help ensure the safety of our students, please take a moment to discuss the following safety tips with your child:
· Identify the location of safe homes or buildings in case they need to run to them. Identify which neighbors are available to help when parents are not at home.
· Avoid alleys and empty lots, houses, or garages. Use direct routes between school and home when walking.
· Use the buddy system. There is usually more safety for children in groups.
· When visiting or playing with friends, always make sure an adult knows where you are and carry your cell phone in case of an emergency. Those students who ride school buses should always get off at their correct bus stop.
· Immediately report any suspicious behavior to a school official, parent or trusted adult.
We appreciate your support as we work together to ensure each child’s safety and security at our school. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at
Bedichek Middle School