AUSTIN -- Due to the Formula 1 weekend and Thanksgiving holiday falling in the same week, officials with Austin-Bergstrom International Airport say airport traffic will be heavier than usual.
A fourth security checkpoint has been added temporarily for F1 traffic, but ticketing and security lines are expected to be longer than normal.
If you are flying out of ABIA Nov. 19-21 or Nov. 25-26, officials say you should get to the airport at least two hours early.
ABIA officials released a few travel tips for those who are flying in and out of Austin:
- Arrive at ABIA at least two hours early. The first security checkpoint will open at 3:30 a.m. Nov. 18-28.
- Allow yourself more time to get to ABIA with traffic and weather under consideration.
- If you are picking someone up from the airport, you can wait in the free cell phone parking lot. Parking information can be found by calling (512) 530-3300.
- Those arriving at ABIA will find hotel shuttles on the upper level's middle curb. Limo services are across from baggage claim 4.
- Avoid wearing jewelry or things containing metal when going through security checkpoints.
- Don't wrap gifts. They might have to be opened during security screenings.
- Know TSA rules. You can find them here.