AUSTIN -- Fire crews say a water heater caused a Northwest Austin house to catch fire.
It broke out Thursday morning at 7207 Nine Oaks Cove off of Spicewood Springs and U.S. 183.
The first crews on the scene reported heavy flames coming from the garage of the home. The fire damaged the attic and bedroom of the home. No one was injured.
The homeowner told KVUE he was eating breakfast when he smelled smoke. When he opened the attic door to investigate, smoke poured out.
"We just smelled, it smelled like a fireplace which was unusual, because we didn't have a fireplace going. So I went upstairs, opened up the attic and smoke was billowing out. I called 911 and 10 minutes later they were here," Kirk Coney said.